Get Me Out of Here! Strategies for Getting Clients Out of Custody
Tuesday March 07
- By: American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Time: 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM
- Time Zone: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
- CLE Credit
This event takes place telephonically.Webinar/Teleseminar, United StatesMap: maps.google.com
- Source: Immigration Advocates Network > IAN Nonprofit Resource Center
Immigration attorneys are all too familiar with a client’s anguish after being taken into ICE custody. Getting a client out of ICE custody can be challenging, particularly if he or she is subject to INA §236(c) mandatory detention. The panelists will discuss some of the latest detention precedents and developments, and present strategies for helping a client get out of jail.
- Who Is Entitled to a Bond Hearing in Immigration Court?
- INA §236(c) and Matter of Joseph Hearings
- Clients Removable Under INA §236(c): Arguments for Avoiding Mandatory Detention
- Limits to Prolonged Mandatory Detention
- Six-Month Rule of Rodriguez v. Robbins (9th Circuit) and Lora v. Shanahan (2nd Circuit)
- “Case-by-Case” Approach of the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the First, Third, Sixth, and Eleventh Circuits: Reid v. Donelan, Diop v. ICE/DHS, Ly v. Hansen, Sopo v. U.S. Attorney General
- Heather Drabek Prendergast (DL), AILA ICE Liaison Committee Chair, Cleveland, OH*
- Holly S. Cooper, Davis, CA*
- Gregory Romanovsky, Boston, MA*
- Richard T. Herman, Cleveland, OH*
*Invited, not confirmed
For more information and to register, click here. You can register for this event quickly and securely online by adding this item to your cart and paying by credit card. If for some reason you need to mail or fax in your registration, you can also download and complete a registration form. If you register online, do not also mail in a registration form. The registration deadline for this seminar is 11:59 pm ET on March 6, 2017.
- CLE Credit Comments: AILA will administer CLE credit to individuals who register for and dial in to the seminar only. AILA cannot verify your attendance and participation in this program unless you register directly for the seminar and use your own telephone line to participate in the call. Therefore, persons who listen in on the call as part of a group will not be able to obtain CLE credit.