When Stays Fail: Learning to Go to Federal Court
Wednesday September 27
- By: ASISTA
- Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
- Time Zone: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
This event will take place online.Webinar/Teleseminar, United States
- Source: Immigration Advocates Network > IAN Nonprofit Resource Center
Most of us who have spent our legal career working with VAWA and U applicants have never had to learn how to go to federal court to stop removal or challenge misapplication of the law. If we wish to continue helping crime survivors, we must now learn how to go to federal court to make the government implement these humanitarian laws. Join national experts to learn how to identify federal court options, apply your existing skills and knowledge to the various options and develop new skills and expertise you will need in the coming years. We will primarily focus on habeas/TROs to stop removal, but will briefly address other options for challenging agency misapplication of the law, or failure to apply, such as mandamus and declaratory relief.
- Maria Baldini Poterman, Attorney and Founder of Maria-Baldini Poterman & Associates, PC
- Cecelia Friedman Levin, Senior Policy Counsel, ASISTA
- Hans Meyer, Lead Attorney and Founder of Meyer Law Office, P.C.
- Gail Pendleton, Executive Director, ASISTA
Per Webinar Cost to non-ASISTA/NIPNLG members:
- Individual = $50.00
- Agency = $75.00 (more than one participant)