Mass Legal Answers Online
To Volunteer, Contact:
- Organization Type: Nonprofit legal services provider
OnlineBoston, MA 02108
- Phone: none
- Website: http://www.masslao.org
- Email: email@example.com
Mass Legal Answers Online is a virtual legal advice clinic that is part of the American Bar Association's Free Legal Answers project. It's a secure website where low-income Massachusetts residents post their legal questions and volunteer attorneys answer them, all through the same website. It launched in Massachusetts in November 2016.
How does it work?
- Choose the questions you want to answer -- at any time, and from any location, that works for you.
- This is a limited scope service -- the clients know in advance that your assistance is restricted to answering their civil legal question, and that you will not go to court with them or prepare any paperwork.
- No required time commitment, although we encourage you to answer at least one question a month.
- Malpractice coverage provided to volunteer attorneys for legal guidance provided through the website.
Who Can Participate?
All attorneys in good standing who are licensed to practice law in Massachusetts, or registered for pro bono status with the Board of Bar Overseers, including in-house counsel and retired attorneys.
Lawyers, sign up today at www.masslao.org.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or see the video and FAQs at https://mass.freelegalanswers.org/AttorneyFAQ
- State(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: Massachusetts
- Area of law: Civil Rights, Consumer, Debt/Credit/Bankruptcy, Disability, Disaster and Emergency Assistance, Education, Elder Law, Employment, Family & Juvenile, Foreclosure, Health, HIV/AIDS, Homeless, Housing, Immigration & Naturalization, Public Benefits, Taxes, Veterans
- Populations Served: General Public
- Opportunities For: Law school clinic, Law Students, Lawyers, Mentors, Senior Lawyers, Small and medium law firm attorneys
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Flexible
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: No
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: No
- CLE credit for pro bono: No
- Mentoring or supervision offered: Yes
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Types of projects in need of Pro Bono help: Client counseling (e.g., brief advice), Mentor volunteer lawyers or law students
- Long Distance Opportunities: Mentor Volunteer Lawyers
- Other Long Distance Opportunities: Provide advice to clients through the website
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: Yes