Utilizing Habeas Corpus Petitions for Unaccompanied Immigrant Children
- 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM
- Eastern Time (US & Canada)
- By: American Bar Association
This event takes place online
- Source: Immigration Advocates Network > IAN Nonprofit Resource Center
The federal government is subjecting immigrant children to prolonged detention. The Writ of Habeas Corpus in federal district court has become an increasingly important and powerful tool to attack unlawful detention and secure a child's earlier release. Studies show that prolonged detention leads to serious physical and mental health problems for children, so securing an earlier release is critical. Habeas petitions can be used to attack statutory, regulatory, and constitutional violations that result in prolonged detention and the needless suffering of children.
- The state of federal immigration detention centers
- Law and procedure around habeas petitions
To register for this event, or for more information, click here.